Seka Technical & Vocational Education & Training Center

Project Highlights

Project name

Seka Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Center


Community Development


Vocational Education and Training

Implementing organization

Support for Sustainable Development (SSD)

Date of proposal submission

March 2012 (resubmitted in May 2013)


Seka Chekosa Woreda, Jima Zone, Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia


$435,000 CAD

Start date

January 2013

End date

December 2015


  • 600 boys and girls enrolled annually in vocational training
  • 100 residents wth job opportunities during construction
  • 36 people permanently employed by the TVET school

Official opening

February 12, 2015


This was recorded at the opening of the Seka Technical and Vocational Training Center, in Seka Ethiopia, February 12, 2015.

There is a real need for skilled tradespeople who can participate in construction to build the country’s infrastructure.

The Need For the Project

In Ethiopia, the number of young people attending elementary and secondary schools is increasing from year to year but most cannot continue to post-secondary education. As a result, many students leave schools after completing Grade 10 and stay at home, jobless and hopeless.

This national problem was magnified in the marginalized area of Seka Chekorsa Woreda. Only 20% percent of the secondary school students had opportunities to continue their preparatory education to join universities and colleges. The remaining 80% had no alternative but to stay at home, dependent on their families. This problem came to a head when girls walking far distances to work faced an extremely dangerous situation—some were being killed so their organs could be harvested and sold to rich people. Their parents begged us to help.

To meet the immediate need of Seka Chekorsa community, Rainbow for the Future and Support for Sustainable Development embarked on the construction and equipping of a TVET center in Seka. About 250 students from the district and surrounding area will be enrolled annually for essential technical skills and vocational training.

Brief Description of Beneficiaries

Seka Chekorsa Woreda has a population of 200,000 residing in 36 kebele peasant associations. The young generation represents a major proportion of these communities and is either at school or directly engaged in farming. Livelihood in the area is based on agriculture, mainly cereals and cash crop production. In addition to Seka woreda communities, communities from other adjacent woredas such as Mana and Dedo would be direct beneficiaries.

The government believes that TVET is one of the mechanisms through which the stubbornly high unemployment rate in the country could be reduced. Through these schools, a competent workforce can be developed, people’s employability in the labour market can be improved, and self-employment can be enabled. The Seka TVET Center provides one-year training at certificate/diploma levels and more short-term informal training in particular subjects. Training is offered in:

  • Road construction
  • Plumbing and sanitary installation
  • Surveying
  • Construction management
  • Concrete work
  • Electrical
  • Carpentry and joinery
  • Computer design
  • Textile design and manufacture

Other Contributors

Training equipment for the Seka TVET Center was purchased in part with funds from a Rotary International Global Grant. The Addis Ababa West Rotary Club was the host club.

TVET Expansion, June 2015 – December 2016

The existing TVET institution had three main blocks: administration, workshop, and classroom. However, the centre lacked library and storage facilities. Additionally, the available classrooms were found to be inadequate for the number of students enrolled.

This TVET Expansion project is designed to add the buildings necessary to accommodate the machinery and students, and ease the teaching and learning process. The new buildings will equip the centre with library and storage facilities as well as additional classroom and workshop blocks.

As of February 2015, the construction of the additional blocks was still at foundation level. Project completion is expected in December 2016.

Get the
All Net Proceeds
to Charity

Subscribe to our