The core outputs of the project are:
- Construction of an irrigation scheme on Jara River, with a potential to develop 100 hectares of land
- Enhancement of the community’s knowledge and skills related to irrigation agronomy and natural resources management
- Creation of a functional water users’ association
- Organization of women’s saving and credit groups
- Implementation of biological and physical soil conservation
To date (February 2016), the following have been carried out:
- Headwork or river diversion structure
- Parts of main and secondary canal excavation and canal structures
- Community capacity building and natural resource management activities
The main activities of this project in 2016 will be completing the construction of part of the irrigation canal infrastructure, providing agricultural extension support to the farmers, carrying out physical and biological soil and water conservation measures, and providing capacity building training on project-related topics.
Our work has proven to be a wonderful investment that has made an amazing difference to the lives of so many.